It is the most expensive – and many would argue delicious – part of a sushi menu. But one man’s love of sashimi nearly killed him after it led to his body becoming riddled with tapeworm. The Chinese man had gone to his doctor complaining of stomach ache and itchy skin.To his horror, scans revealed his entire body had been infected with tapeworm after eating too much sashimi – raw slices of fish.

The Chinese man had seen his doctor complaining of stomach ache and itchy skin. Scans revealed his entire body had been infected with tapeworm parasites after eating too much sashimi – raw slices of fish

 

Doctors believe some of the uncooked Japanese delicacy of raw meat or fish must have become contaminated.
He was treated at the Guangzhou No. 8 People’s Hospital in Guangdong Province, in eastern China.

Research has shown that eating raw or undercooked fish can lead to a variety of parasitic infections. Tapeworm infections occur after ingesting the larvae of diphyllobothrium, found in freshwater fish such as salmon, although marinated and smoked fish can also transmit the worm. While cases have increased in poorer areas due to improved sanitation, cases have increased in more developed countries.

Comments

comments